Friday, March 12, 2010

Double citizenship - Doble ciudadania

This Sunday is election day for congress in my country of origin, and I will be a poll jury. I will vote to influence (try to) decisions in my "other" country. Isn't that nice? A new perk that I hadn't really thought about. Being able to vote in two different countries. I imagine many detractors of immigration wouldn't be too happy to hear this. I should make up my mind right? Here or there. But I feel like a citizen of the world. I do love my two countries, and I will vote in both of them... Maybe that would make up for some of the apathy that reigns both here and there when talking about politics. Many people don't care about going to the polls. They don't think it really matters. It seems things are decided farther than we can reach. To tell you the truth I am not that sure my vote really could matter... my poor lonely vote in an ocean of powers... but I dream it does... and just in case, I'd better go.

Plus better be counted in the statistics as the group that makes a difference. The group that make things evolve, even if you get lost as a number in the statistics.

You know... long time ago there were tribes... then there were cities... then there were countries... now some countries are getting together little by little... maybe one day we will vote for ideas, not only for individuals, for world policies... and one day we will vote for the confederation of interstellar planets... :)

***

Este domingo son las elecciones para el congreso en mi país de origen y seré jurado de votacion. Votaré para influir (o al menos intentar influir) en las decisiones en mi "otro" país. ¿No les parece maravilloso? Una ventaja que no había tenido en cuenta. Puedo votar en dos países. Me imagino que a muchos detractores de inmigración no les agradará mucho oír esto. Debería decidirme ¿no? Aquí o allá. Pero me siento como una ciudadana del mundo. Amo mis dos países, y votaré en ambos ellos… Eso compensará quizá algo de la apatía que reina aquí y allá al hablar de política. A mucha gente ni le interesa ir a votar. No piensan que en realidad valga la pena. Parece que las cosas están decididas más allá de lo que podemos alcanzar. A decir verdad no estoy segura de que mi voto en realidad haga mucha diferencia… mi pobre votico solo en un océano de poderes en conflicto… pero guardo la esperanza… y en caso de que sí haga una diferencia, pues mejor ir.

Mejor que me cuenten en las estadísticas dentro del grupo que hace la diferencia. El grupo que hacen que las cosas evolucionen, incluso si uno sigue perdido convertido en un número en las estadísticas.

Hace mucho tiempo la gente se reunía en tribus… luego nacieron las ciudades… luego se formaron los países… ahora algunos países se están reuniendo poco a poco… quizá un día poremos votar por ideas más que por personas, por las políticas que se hagan efectivas en el mundo entero… y un día votaremos por la confederación de planetas interestelares…:)

1 comment:

  1. I liked your article, at the end I started thinking, is she talking about the New World Order?

    ReplyDelete